TFJ Inspiration Ave: Distress Spray Stains

Hello and welcome to a new challenge at the Newley renovated Funkie Junkie Inspiration Ave blog! This week we are featuring Tim Holtz Distress Inks, Distress Sprays, and Mediums.

We also hope you will enter into our drawing for a $25 gift certificate to The Funkie Junkie Boutique by creating something with Tim Holtz Distress inks, sprays or mediums.  Post on your social media and tag us at #thefunkiejunkie.  At the end of our two week challenge, we will randomly select a $25 gift certificate winner.  

For my creation I wanted to go back to basics with the classic ink smoosh technique. I am also featuring a distress micro glaze resist technique for this fall themed card. For video tutorial click here.


For supplies I used: distress inks mustard seed, carved pumpkin, and brushed, distress oxide crackling campfire, distress archival black soot, stamp set CMS414 Renaissance, CMS446 Noteworthy, and CMS133 Autumn Blueprint, distresse foundry wax mined, washi tape, specialty stamping paper, and distress sprayer.
To start the creation of this card I smooshed distress inks mustard seed, carved pumpkin, brushed corduroy, and Distress a Oxide crackling campfire onto the tonic Tim Holtz media mat. 
Next I spritzed the distress ink with the Tim Holtz distress water sprayer to get the ink to form droplets on the craft mat.
Next I place a piece of specialty stomach paper on to the media mat to pick up the inky droplets. 
I tilted the specialty stamping cardstock and sprayed with the sprayer to get the ink to move and flow. After I dried off my substrate with the Ranger heat tool.
I then repeated this process three more times to build up layers of inky goodness.
Below are the finished ink layers. As you could see there is a patina on top of the ink, this is from the distress oxide ink.
Now to make some magic happen. Here I am going to be using some distress micro glaze. This is a technique that I learned from one of the mini Tim Holtz demos. 
I scooped a little bit of the micro glaze out with a jar with a finger and then rubbed it across my substrate. As you could see there is a dramatic colour shift as soon as the micro glaze is applied to the paper. The colours are no brighter and we can see more layers of ink. After the micro glaze was applied I then buffed it off with a small piece of paper towel.
now to finish up our background. For the next up in our background I’m going to be stamping with the stamp set CMS414 renaissance. Here I have stamped with an acrylic block and some distress  archival black soot ink.
I decided that I wanted to cover the whole background with the same stamp set but I didn’t want the patterns to overlap. To avoid overlap I put down a piece of paper towel to cover the section of the background that I did not want any additional ink on and then stamped with the same pattern.
Here is our completed background stamped with stamps at CMS414 renaissance.
For the focal point of this project I decided I wanted to use stamps at CMS133 autumn blueprint.
To colour in the sleeve I am using some of the Tim Holtz Distress Reinkers. I have the reinkers stored in the Tim Holtz ranger pallet. For colours I used mustard seed, crackling campfire, carved pumpkin, and Candied apple. These I applied with the Ranger fine tip water brush.
With the leaf collared I then added some micro glaze over the top of this colourful maple leaf. To do this I gently dabbbed on the microglaze with a finger and gently spread it around the leaf.
Next I spritz to some distress vintage photo spray stain over the top of the leaf. In the picture below you can see how the spray beads up on top of the maple leaf. The beating of the colour shows that the micro glaze is acting as a resist and only adhering to the parts of the paper that did not have microglaze applies to it.
After spritzing with the distress spray stain I then heat dried the focal point.
After I sprinkled a few droplets of water on to the sprayed image. I blotted away the droplets of water with a small piece of paper towel.
Blotting away the extra water gave me a distressed looking background around the leaf.
After I trim down the vocal piece using the Tonic deckle trimmer.
Here I decided to add some brushed corduroy distress ink around the edges of the maple leaf. I applied the ink with a mini blending tool and some dome foam.
Then I attached our focal point to the card using a few foam squares. To add some more visual interest I added some washy tape as a secondary border around the maple leaf.
Next I added some Idea-ology Halloween drops to the corners of the Washie tape border. These were applied with stress collage for medium.
For the sentiment I stamps with stamps at CMS446 Noteworthy in distress archival black soot ink.
After I decided to add a second border going around the edge of the card with a thin strip of washie tape.
For finishing touches on the card I wanted to add a bit of shine. To do this I distress foundry wax in mined onto the card front with a paintbrush. Then I used an embossing gun to heat up the founder wax to reveal the shine.
Below is the finished card.

Thank you so much for joining me here today at the crafty corner. Until next time, we happy crafting!

Janna~ ๐Ÿ’•๐ŸŽจ๐Ÿ’•

I can also be found on:
Instagram: @treasuresofthesea_jannak

Below are some links for some inspired shopping at the Funkie Junkie.

Distress Ink Frayed Burlap

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Ink_Pad_Frayed_Burlap_TIM21469_p/tim21469.htm

Distress Ink Mustard seed 

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Ink_Pad_Mustard_Seed_TIM20226_p/tim20226.htm

Distress InkCarved pumpkin 

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Ink_Pad_Carved_Pumpkin_TIM43201_p/tim43201.htm

Distress Oxide Crackling Campfire

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Oxide_Ink_Pad_Crackling_Campfire_TDO72317_p/tdo72317.htm

Distress Reinkers Mustard seed 

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Ink_Reinker_Mustard_Seed_TIM20288_p/tim20288.htm

Distress Reinkers Candied apple

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Ink_Reinker_Candied_Apple_TXR43409_p/txr43409.htm

Distress Reinkers Crackling campfire 

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Ink_Pad_Reinker_Crackling_Campfire_TXR723_p/txr72300.htm

Distress Reinkers Carved pumpkin 

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Ink_Reinker_Carved_Pumpkin_TXR43324_p/txr43324.htm

Distress Archival black soot

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Tim_Holtz_Mini_Archival_Ink_Pads_Kit_3_AITK64848_p/ai_tank64848.htm

Micro glaze

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Ranger_Distress_Micro_Glaze_TDA46967_p/tda46967.htm

Fine tip water brush

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Tim_Holtz_Water_Brush_Detailer_Brush_Nib_TIP33080_p/wbdetail.htm

Foundry wax mined set 2

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Foundry_Wax_Kit_2_Sterling_Statue_TDAK80442_p/tdak80442.htm

Idea-ology drops

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Halloween_2022_Idea_ology_Droplets_TH94265_p/th94265.htm

Stamp Set CMS446 Noteworthy 

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Tim_Holtz_Stamp_Set_Noteworthy_CMS446_p/cms446.htm




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hippity Hoppity Easter Card

Grunge, Ghouls, or Giggles: TFJ Challenge

Time Shows Us What Really Matters: TFJB Challenge