Grunge, Ghouls, or Giggles: TFJ Challenge

 Hello and welcome to a new challenge over at the Funkie Junkie blog. I’m Janna and I will be your host for Grunge Ghouls, or GigglesHalloween is just around the corner and this week we are getting our hands dirty. Will your makes be frightful and ghoulish or will they be cute and get giggles? Add a touch of grunge to your makes. Cards, décor, scrapbook pages, journal spreads, we want to see it all. We will be most Distressed if you miss out on the spooky cute Halloween fun! Happy crafting!

To join the challenge head over to the Funkie Junkie Blog for the challenge rules and ways to enter!


This week I am playing to the theme of Grunge Ghouls, or Giggles. I decided to create a frightfully delightful Tim Holtz Halloween Idea-ology Vignette box. For a video detailing the creation of the focal points click here.

For the first part of this project I will be focusing on three primary components of this vignette box. We will be looking at constructing a bubbling cauldron, potion bottles, and an altered paper doll. The materials I used for those elements were: Idea-ology cauldron, Halloween tiny lights, Halloween Paper Dolls, clear transparencies, thick board embellishments, clear bubbles, Halloween ephemera, crypt paste, distress crayon black soot and prize ribbon, alcohol ink eggplant, vineyard, pitch black, and purple twilight, distress paint brushed pewter, alcohol ink foil tape, finial, Idea-ology snippets 


To start with we will be taking a look at the new Idea-ology cauldron. For the focal point of this piece I wanted to create a bubbling brewing witch's potion. But we will not stop there, this potion is going to light up.

To start we will drill a hole in the base of the cauldron. Here I drilled the hole with a quarter inch bit. 
To safely drill I set down a scrap piece of wood to protect my work surface. Gripping both sides of the cauldron I drilled a quarter inch hole in the base. This will serve as a spot to thread some tiny lights into the cauldron.
Next I pulled out some Idea-ology bubbles. For the bubbles I will be adding some color to them to add to the bubbling potion look.
To color the bubbles I decide to use some purple twilight alcohol ink.
To color these I placed them into a couple of plastic shot glass cups and added a few drops of alcohol ink. Then I shook the cups to color the bubbles to move around the alcohol ink. I then set these aside to dry. This takes less than a minute.
Now lets light up the cauldron. To do this I threaded the light strand through the back of the vignette box and then through the base of the cauldron. Then to install the lights I started by wrapping some of the lights around a distress crayon barrel to form a little light bundle. Then I placed the light bundle into the base of the cauldron.
Next I added in layers of bubbles into the cauldron on top of the light bundle. To glue the bubbles in place I used glossy accents to stick down the bubbles. Below is the end result.
Time to add some grunge. Here I added some translucent grit paste to the  cauldron. This I just smooshed onto the cauldron with a finger to give it a more organic look.
Once the grit paste was dry I then added some purple twilight alcohol ink.
Now lets make some potions. Here I used a mixed variety of Idea-ology glass bottles.
Here are the empty bottles before I altered them. One bottle was filled with cut up bone yard bones and another was filled with some lichen pieces.
To alter some of them I used a two part resin to create some different potion mixes. For two part resins add two equal parts of each container to a mixing container, stir for 5min, then sweep a heat tool over the top of the resin to eliminate bubbles before pouring.
For the potions I used a mixture of alcohol inks and distress glitters. The purple potion below was colored with alcohol ink and the black one was altered with some nightfall distress glitter.
Once the potion bottles were filled I added some small Idea-ology stickers to the bottles.
Next I altered a paper doll as a second focal point. This is one of the new Idea-ology Halloween paper dolls. Here I decided to alter it with distress crayons. For the colors I used prize ribbon, dried marigold, and tattered rose. I applied the crayon with the fine detailer TH water brush.
With the paper doll colored I then added some of the TH transparent bat wings. These wings are so cool! I love the detail and color of the bat wings. I added these to the paper doll with a foam square to add a little dimention.
Here we will now examine how this vignette box is put together. To view process video click here. I drilled a quarter inch hole in the back of the vignette box in order to add some tiny Halloween lights.
For the interior of the box was lined with some worn wallpaper from the Idea-ology Halloween collection. This was added with some collage medium.
Then to conceal the edges I used some silver holiday washi tape.
To cover the back and outer sides of the box I used some alcohol ink foil tape. I used vineyard, pitch black, and eggplant alcohol inks to embellish the foil. I applied the alcohol ink with the mini ink applicator and a felt circle.
Once coated I then applied the sticky back foil tape onto the vignette box.
Once the foil was on I poked a hole through the paper layers to slip the lights through the pre drilled hole.
With the lights inside the box I the taped them to the interior edges of the box with washi tape.
With the lights lightly tacked down I then added in some bits of ephemera. These pieces were glued in with collage medium using pieces from the 2021 TH Halloween ephemera. 
Now it is time to bust out the hot glue. To help hold the lights in place I added a scalloped shelf into the box. This is from the Stampers Anonymous etcetera trim line. The shelf was altered with some crypt paste and a bit of distress black soot crayon. Then I glued down a thick board word banner. 
Here we get into the assembly of the vignette box. On the shelf I added in the mini potion bottles.
I also added an alterd finial that I turned into a book stand. The finial was painted with some brushed pewter distress paint, added some grit paste, and some black soot distress crayon to create a grungy book stand. The book is made from Idea-ology snippets and some distress cardstock.
At the front of the vignette I also added a stack of books and an Idea-ology skull. I also extended the vignette box with a wood panel that was altered with some texture paste through the cobble stone stencil. Th base was then colored with distress mica spray stain empty tomb.
In the corner I added some bone yard bones to help hide some of the wire on the lights.
One of the last piece to be added was the altered paper doll.
The finishing touch for this vignette was the addition of some mummy cloth that was colored with empty tomb distress mica spray stain.
Below are some close ups of the finished vignette and some pictures with the lights on.













Thank you so much for joining me here today for some frightful Halloween fun.
~Janna💕🎨

Below are some links for some inspired shopping.

Idea-ology Halloween transparencies https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Idea_ology_Transparencies_Halloween_2021_TH94167_p/ido_th94167.htm

Grit paste https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Tim_Holtz_Distress_Grit_Paste_3oz_Opaque_TDA71792_p/tda71792.htm

Vignette box https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Tim_Holtz_Idea_ology_Vignette_Boxes_TH93279_p/th93279.htm

Halloween Wallpaper https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Worn_Wallpaper_Scraps_Halloween_2021_TH94147_p/ido_th94147.htm

Collage medium https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Collage_Medium_Matte_2oz_Bottle_TDA73031_p/tda73031.htm

Paper dolls Halloween https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Idea_ology_Paper_Dolls_Halloween_2021_TH94149_p/ido_th94149.htm

Idea-ology cauldron https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Idea_ology_Cauldrons_Halloween_2021_TH94171_p/ido_th94171.htm

Halloween tiny lights https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Tiny_Lights_Halloween_2021_TH94157_p/ido_th94157.htm

Idea-ology test tubes https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Idea_ology_Test_Tubes_Halloween_2021_TH94156_p/ido_th94156.htm

Distress glitter https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Tim_Holtz_Dry_Glitter_Clear_Rock_Candy_3oz_TDR3587_p/tdr35879.htm

Alcohol ink mojito https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Alcohol_Ink_Kit_Mint_Green_Spectrum_TAK69652_p/tak69652.htm

Clear baubles https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Idea_ology_Bubbles_Halloween_2021_TH94180_p/ido_th94180.htm

Glossy accents https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Ranger_Inkssentials_Glossy_Accents_p/inkglossy.htm

Black Kraft stock https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Tim_Holtz_Idea_ology_Kraft_Stock_Black_TH94145_p/ido_th94145.htm

Prize Ribbon Distress Crayon https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Tim_Holtz_Distress_Crayons_Set_12_TDBK77190_p/tdbk77190.htm

Comments

  1. By now, you know I absolutely ADORE these little vignettes!
    My favorite parts: the purple lighting, the jars, & that rat!!! Hilarious!
    I’m really loving how you made your books; the one on the pedestal looks like a college professor’s file book- what a great idea for The Professor!!
    You rocked this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. I had so much fun with this make💜

      Delete
  2. This is just delightful, Janna! I loved seeing how each of your pieces came together, and when it's lit up, it's just so spooky-cool! I keep scrolling up an down to gawk at all the amazing details! My favorite bit is that cauldron! Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The details on this are just wow! I feel like you could walk into this creepy scene if you would dare! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hippity Hoppity Easter Card

Time Shows Us What Really Matters: TFJB Challenge