TFJ Challenge: A rather blustery day: With Distress Micro Glaze

Hello and welcome to a new challenge for The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog. This weeks challenge was inspired by Pooh Bear's quote "It's a rather blustery day."   Pooh Bear struggled against the windy day and you can share something you struggle with in your art!  It can be a technique, color palette, tools, or supplies that you find difficult to use.  Share them with us along with your story on what you struggle with! 

The guidelines for entering are simple: create a new vintage or shabby chic project following the challenge theme, link it to your post (not just your blog) and also include a link to this challenge in your post. You can combine our challenge with up to 10 challenges (including this one) to be in with a chance for winning. If you are entering through a public forum (such as Instagram) you'll need to include the words 'Funkie Junkie Boutique Challenge'. Also, please turn off your Word Verification so our Design Team can leave comments on your blogs

For this challenge I have decided to feature Distress Micro Glaze. I definitely have a love hate relationship with this product. When it works for me the results are fantastic and when things go wrong they go really wrong. So let’s see how things go this week and play with some micro glaze. Click here for video instruction.

Below is a list of products I have used in this make.

A note about micro glaze: in my experience I have found this product to be sensitive to humidity and heat. Also this is a product that requires a fine balance of too much and not enough when applying it to various substrates. So let’s go ahead and start creating.




For this card I will be creating an inky background with a micro glaze resist.  For our inky background I will be using distress inks salty ocean, salvaged patina, cracked pistachio, and tumbled glass.


On the craft mat portion of the media mat I smooshed down the inks and the spritzed with the distress sprayer to create water droplets. Then placed a piece of white heavy stock into the droplets to make our first inky impression.


Below is our first inky impression. Next I dried the ink and then duped and dried in the inky splatters until I was happy with the background.


Here are the finished results after the final inky dip.


Now it is time to add the micro glaze through a stencil. Here I am using stencil THS084 mosaic. To add the micro glaze I used a mini blending tool paired with some dome foam. With the blending tool I gave it a quick twist in the jar of micro glaze and then blended it into the foam on the edge  of the craft mat. After I blended the micro glaze through the stencil in a soft circular motion.


Again I spritzed with water and then swiped the cardstock through the ink. When swiping it is important make sure to swipe over the areas stencilled with micro glaze. Then once the ink is on dry it quickly so it does not soak under the micro glaze and bleed up through the paper. Below you can see the results of our first resist. Note: this technique is intended to give an organic look, not a crisp image.


Now let’s go in for our second micro glaze resist. This time I am using stencil THS051 Industrial. Again add a little micro glaze to the blending foam and then smoosh it out on the craft mat and then blend over the stencil. I chose a word stencil to add a contrast the the subtle pattern of the first stencil.


Now let’s add some contrasting colors. For contrast I used colors I used distress oxide inks mustard seed and spiced marmalade.


Again we will swipe through the ink and dry it. Below you can see where the after and ink bead up and do not stick to the areas where the micro glaze was applied. Now we dry the ink and add more if needed.


Now it is time to embellish this card. For the focal point I am going to be using the new TH die set Bunny Games.


For die cutting I added double sided tape to a piece of heavy white distress cardstock. Then I die cut the bunny, two banners, and several sets of flowers.


Next I colored the die cuts with some reinkers and some of the new Saltwater Taffy distress ink. I also threw in some Distress Oxide mustard seed on the banner. The other colors of reinkers I used were squeezed lemonade, twisted citron, abandoned coral, kitsch flamingo, and black soot. I painted all of these colors on using the RmYH fine detail water brush.


Time to assemble the die cuts. This part was super easy using the TH Sizzix die pick tool. I love adding double sided tape when die cutting because it makes assembly super easy and avoids glue ooz issues.


To center the bunny as the main focal point I die cut an oval out of one of the TH paper packs and edges it with distress vintage photo ink.


Next I added the die cuts to this card front


For finishing touches I added a word sticker from the TH Idea-ology metallic sticker book. 



I can also be found on:
Instagram: @treasuresofthesea_jannak

Thank you so much for joining me here today at the crafty corner. Until next time, happy crafting!
Janna~ πŸ’•πŸŽ¨πŸ’•

Below are some links for some inspired shopping at the Funkie Junkie. 


Micro Glaze https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Ranger_Distress_Micro_Glaze_TDA46967_p/ranger_microglaze.htm

Collage Medium https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Ranger_Distress_Micro_Glaze_TDA46967_p/ranger_microglaze.htm

Distress Ink Salty Ocean

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Ink_Pad_Salty_Ocean_TIM35015_p/tim35015.htm

Distress Ink Cracked Pistachio 

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Ranger_Tim_Holtz_Distress_ink_Pistachio_TIM43218_p/tim43218.htm

Distress Ink Salvaged Patina https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Ink_Pad_Salvaged_Patina_TIM72737_p/tim72737.htm

Distress ink Tumbled Glass https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Ink_Pad_Tumbled_Glass_TIM27188_p/tim27188.htm

Distress Ink Oxide mustard seed 

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Tim_Holtz_Distress_Oxide_Mustard_Seed_TDO56089_p/di_tdo56089.htm

Distress Ink Oxide spiced marmalade 

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Tim_Holtz_Distress_Oxide_Spiced_Marmalade_TDO56225_p/di_tdo56225.htm

Distress Ink Oxide abandoned coral

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Tim_Holtz_Distress_Oxide_Abandoned_Coral_TDO55778_p/di_tdo55778.htm

Distress Ink Salt Water Taffy 

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Ink_Pad_Saltwater_Taffy_TIM79521_p/tim79521.htm

Bunny Games

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Tim_Holtz_Die_Set_Bunny_Games_665850_p/die_665850.htm


Metallic Sticker book 

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Tim_Holtz_Idea_ology_Metallic_Sticker_Book_TH94134_p/ido_th94134.htm

Comments

  1. Super SUPER SWEET !! That bunny just looks so PERFECT right there in the middle, and I want to reach out and tickle his wittle tummy. ;)
    I have had trouble with the MicroGlaze also and had no idea anyone else did.
    That does make sense; for it to be sensitive like that, and living in Indiana probably added to my troubles. It just never wanted to 'glaze' over for me and produce the tiny crackle I love so much from the Crackle Pastes. I'll have to pay more attention to tips like this in the future...THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! As crafters it is always fun to keep playing even when things don't go as planned. πŸ™‚❤️🎨❤️

      Delete
  2. oh, yes, Microglaze! I could use some more practice with it too. I love your results and that cute card. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! πŸ™‚❤️🎨❤️

      Delete
  3. Such a sweet card! I love bunnies and this one is super adorable! I do love my microglaze, and I'm glad you gave it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So far it seems to be a product where the conditions must be just right to make it work without any hic-ups. I had to turn on my dehumidifier to give it the best chance to work. QC tends to be very damp.πŸ™‚❤️🎨❤️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hippity Hoppity Easter Card

Grunge, Ghouls, or Giggles: TFJ Challenge

Time Shows Us What Really Matters: TFJB Challenge