TFJ Challenge: For the Love of Mixed Media

Hello and welcome to a new challenge for The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog"a mixed media piece about or for someone or something you love." What are your favorite mediums to use? Do you prefer tags, cardstock, wood, chipboard, or some other substrate as a base? Are you a fan of three dimensional creations or collage? Your imagination is the only limit this time.

For this weeks challenge I have decided to create a mini vintage style junk journal. This junk journal features many items from the Tim Holtz Idea-ology collection. For video instruction click here.


For this project I used: collage medium, Idea-ology tin lids, big chat stickers, word stickers, Idea-ology snipits, ephemera, paper dolls, collage paper entomology, collage paper type set, Idea-ology hinge, washi tape, quote token, distress crayon picket fence, Tonic mini trimmer, and walnut stain distress ink


To start this junk journal I decided to use two of the TH Idea-ology tin lids as the covers of the journal.


To  put these two lids together I am going to be hinging the two metal lids. First I used some washi tape to line up the two lid covers.


Using the Idea-ology hinge as a guide line I used an erasable marker to mark the points on the lid where I am going to drill holes to attach the hinge.


To drill out the holes I used a 7/64th drill bit. I used a small electric drill to drill out the holes.


Once the holes were drilled I lined up the hinge with the holes and inserted the  brads to secure the hinge to the lids.


With the hinge attached I then collaged the inside of the tin lid with the type set collage paper. I tore up little pieces of collage paper and then clued them into the lid with collage medium.


While the tin lids are drying I cut down some mixed media paper to 2imx4in. I cut a total of four strips using the Tim Holtz Tonic mini trimmer.


I then folded each paper segment in half. Then I rounded off all of the corners.


These papers I then taped together with washi tape to make a mini accordion book.


Now to decorate the according book. Here I have added collage medium and then glued down some entomology collage paper.


With the collage paper now dry I then started to add ephemera elements. First I did a rough layout laying down small pieces first and then adding in larger elements and paper dolls.


With the elements collaged onto the pages I then went back and added in word stickers from big chat and snipits.


Now on to the back side of the accordion book. This time I collaged with type set collage paper.


Again I experimented with different ephemera layouts before gluing the pieces down.


Now it is time to add the accordion book into the the tin lids. I placed a blue x on the last panel of the back side of the accordion book to remind myself that this page gets glued facedown into the left side tin lid.


To glue this end into the tin lid I used super glue gel.


Here I made a belly band out of washi tape to keep the junk journal closed. I placed one strip of washi down stick side up and then put another trip of washi tape over the top.


To secure the belly band I wrapped a small piece of washi tape around the seam to close the band.


For finishing touches I embellished a quote token by rubbing some distress crayon picket fence into the word story.



I secured the quote token to the belly band using some twine and another piece of washi tape.






I can also be found on:
Instagram: @treasuresofthesea_jannak

Thank you so much for joining me here today at the crafty corner. Until next time, happy crafting!
Janna~ πŸ’•πŸŽ¨πŸ’•

Below are some links for some inspired shopping at the Funkie Junkie. 

collage medium 

ticket book 

Mixed Media paper

Word stickers

Idea-ology snippits

ephemera keep sakes

paper dolls 

collage paper entomology 

collage paper type set

number token 

distress crayon picket fence 

walnut stain distress ink

Comments

  1. Janna, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!! I am such a fan of those "littles" that Tim has/makes, and this is one I haven't given much thought to. Until NOW!
    I have seen others do the trinket tops as a case, but you make yours look so neat-as-a-pin and that booklet is just to die for!! Definitely my kinda art!!
    BEAUTIFUL inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Always so fun to pull out Idea-ology for a crafty play. Happy crafting!πŸ’•πŸŽ¨πŸ’•

      Delete
  2. So much love and attention to detail given in your mini make. I loved seeing it's design unfold, how inspiring. I'm sure you had so much fun creating this amazing creation. Creative wishes Tracey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Mixed media is always so fun to dive into.πŸ’•πŸŽ¨πŸ’•

      Delete
  3. How sweet! I love these little trinket tin projects and your collages are so inspiring; great way to use up those little odd bits! Great project!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hippity Hoppity Easter Card

Grunge, Ghouls, or Giggles: TFJ Challenge

Time Shows Us What Really Matters: TFJB Challenge