Triple The Heat: TFJB Challenge



This week the Funkie Junkie is creating to the theme of “Triple The Heat”. Head over to the Funkie Junkie Blog  to join the new challenge, open from August 11th to 24th.

 "August is always very hot for us in the Midwest. Our temperature can raise into the three digit numbers. I decided to use the number 3 as the inspiration for this challenge. I challenge you to use 3 of a kind.  You could use just three colors (white and black excluded), three of the same type of embellishment, three of the same images...  you decide how to incorporate the three of a kind in your project.  Make sure to mention what your three of a kind is in your post."

Thinking of the summer and heat always makes me think of fair season. So I decided to create a journal page dedicated to country fairs. For the number three I have three cows, three prize ribbons, and three judges. I  this blog post I will be discussing watercoloring with distress.  We will be focusing on one element of this art journal spread. At the end I will have close up pictures of the finished page. And as usual click here for instructional YouTube video.

For distress water colouring I decided to work with three different distress mediums. Today I am working with distress reinkers, distress reinkers oxides, and distress crayons. For stamping I used distress archival black soot and the stamp set On the Farm CMS303. I also used an acrylic block and stamping play form to stamp with. 

To start I stamped on mixed media heavy stock with the cow stamp from on the farm with black soot archival.
I used the new regulation size black soot archival ink pad. The new size makes stamping larger stamps much easier and quicker.
For colouring with distress reinkers I love to store my reinkers in the TH Ranger ink pallet. It is an easy way to create a wet pallet to work out of. The first color I started with was vintage photo. I used the TH water brush fine pint paint brush to create light wash of vintage photo.
After a layer of vintage photo I added some ground espresso to create some shadows on the stamped image. I also faded out and blended the ground espresso into the vintage photo to create a gradient.
For the last layer I added a touch of carved pumpkin to give this cow a slightly more rusty reddish hue. I also added some pumice stone for the hooves.
Here are the finished results of the distress reinker water coloring.
Next I pulled out the stamping platform to do some watercoloring with the distress oxide reinkers.
Again I stamped with black soot archival ink.
To start I painted a wash of brushes corduroy. Distress oxides are opaque and cover up the stamping. This isn’t a problem since we are using the stamping platform and can double stamp after adding color to the stamped image.
The second layer I added was vintage photo. This was added to the shadowed parts of the stamp. I also added a touch of black soot oxide for the hooves. Due to the unique properties of brushed corduroy I was able  to get a rusty quality to the watercoloring without having to add a third color. Brushed corduroy always give unique color shifts when it oxides with water.

After finishing the coloring with distress oxide so then stamped over the oxide layers with more archival ink. This brings back all of the detail covered up by the oxide reinkers


Next I will water colored with distress crayons: pumice stone, rusty hinge, walnut stain, and vintage photo. Here I pulled up the craft mat and used the glass pallet to swatch out some distress crayon.


For the first layer I painted a wash of vintage photo.
For the second layer I added some walnut stain in the shadow areas.
The last layer was added with some rusty hinge. Between each layer I added a little vintage phot to blend out all of the colors.
Here are the finished images with three distinct ways to watercolor.
I then used these cows in a journal layout depicting a country fair. In the four al I used a
Combination of distress sprays, collage, stamping and distress paints.
Bellow are some close up photos of the journal spread and the water colouring.





Thank you for joining me here today and until next time happy crafting!

~Janna💕🎨
Want to check out some supplies from this tutorial? Bellow are some links for inspired shopping at the Funkie Junkie.


Collage medium 

Distress reinker pumice stone

Distress reinker vintage photo

Distress reinkers ground espresso

Distress black soot archival mini

Distress oxide reinker brushed corduroy

Distress oxide reinker vintage photo

Distress reinker black soot

TH stamping acrylic blocks

Distress crayon set 3 (vintage photo and black soot, walnut stain)

Distress crayon set 4 (pumice stone)







Comments

  1. Just fabulous, Janna. Loved reading what you know about the inks, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those farm animals our some of my favorite SA stamps and your journal pages are a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love using Tim’s stamps, they have so much personality.💙

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed reading how you painted each of the cows, and each of the results turned out wonderfully. Your completed journal page is so fun, and I can almost smell the popcorn and peanuts, and hear the barkers call at your fairgrounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really wanted to try and capture the whole fair feel on the page.😀💙

      Delete
  4. You did such an amazing job!! LOVE those 3 "judges" on the side! They almost steal the show they are so mean looking!! Really liked that part! Great instructions on watercoloring and the whole storybook feel of the page! So gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The guys from the Inquisitive set make me smile💕🎨

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! The guys from the Inquisitive set make me smile💕🎨

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hippity Hoppity Easter Card

Grunge, Ghouls, or Giggles: TFJ Challenge

Time Shows Us What Really Matters: TFJB Challenge