Icy and Cold. TFJ Challenge



Welcome to a new challenge for the Funkie Junkie Challenge.  This weeks challenge is Icy and Cold. “For this challenge I wanted to reflect how the weather is in January in my part of the world.  Highlight anything that speaks icy and/or cold to you which could include:  snowflakes, icy tones of colors, icicles or winter activities.  Come share what icy and cold inspires in your art!

For this week’s challenge I have decided to focus on two icy and cold mediums. Today I will be creating with TH Ranger crackle paste icing and Distress crackle paint rock candy. Below are the two cards I made with each medium. For a video tutorial click here.

Today I will be creating with: distress crackle paint clear rock candy and crackle paste icicle, TH Ranger watercolor paper, mixed media white heavy stock, distress spray stains kitsch flamingo, mustard seed, salvaged patina, and mermaid lagoon, collage medium, Idea-ology stickers, Bigz die heart felt, Idea-ology ephemera, distress glitter, and metallic TH cardstock.


Icy and cold mediums.

To start with I die cut some hearts out with the Bigz die Heart felt using distress heavy white cardstock. I also cut a few hearts out of some small scraps.

When working with Distress crackle paint the first thing to  price is the viscosity. It is fairly thick and spreads like soft taffy or peanut butter. I spread the medium on the heart using one of the Ranger TH pallet knives.

Here is the heart fully covered in icicle. I have found that Icicle is much thinner in viscosity and spreads like melted butter. This tends to take an hour to dry. Dry time is always different depending on the climate you are in. Here in lower QC mediums tend to take longer to dry due to humidity.
Now I decided to cover some blank hearts with Icicle and crackle paint. These I will alter later.

For some more creative play I also decided to smoosh some of the crackle paint through a stencil to create a background with. This is stencil THS077.

Below are the stencilled results.  Again I will let this sit for about an hour.

Here I have added some icicle through a stencil using THS075.

Even though Icicle is much runnier than crackle paint it still maintains its integrity when put through a stencil.


Now let’s take a look at the dried results. This is the first heart we worked with featuring the crackle paint. The crackle paint once dried it resembles shattered glass.

Below is the example with icicle. Here you can see that the icicle produces thinner lines cracking like ice.

Next I sprayed some distress spray stain over each type of heart. Since the crackle paint has larger cracks the spray stain seeps into the paper and colors more of the piece. The icicle has fewer and smaller cracks and the spray stain highlights the cracks instead of completely seeping into the paper.


Then I tried multiple colors of distress spray stain to get a more stained glass window effect for the crackle paint. After spraying I then dried the hearts off with the Ranger heat tool.


Next I used a combination of salvaged patina and kitsch flamingo spray stain over the stencilled background with the distress crackle paint.


To hi Th light the crackle lines I also smooshed in some distress picket fence crayon. Simply scribbled some crayon on and then smooshed it in with my fingers.

Now to build a card. With the background complete I then die cut an ornate drone drone a Sizzix Impresslit 3D embossing folder. For paper I used TH metallic cardstock and then glittered the drone with distress glitter. On the inside of the frame I added a scrap of Idea-ology paper.

Then I placed a crackle paint heart in the centre of the frame to act as a focal point.

In the corner of the card I also added a small heart stamp from the stamp set Crazy Things CMS237.
For the finishing touches I distressed the edges of the card with villainous potion ink and added a word label for a sentiment.
For the next card I will be working with the foundation stencilled with crackle paste icicle.

To start I added in a tag from Idea-ology ephemera and glued it with collage medium.
Then for the focal point I added in colorize blooms that I die cut from AI sparkle cardstock. I colored the die cut pieces using AI and the AI ink blending marker.
For finishing touches I also added an alcohol inked butterfly and an Idea-ology sticker sentiment.

Below is a closer look at the two cards created with icy cold mediums crackle paint and icicle.




Thank you so much for joining me here today at the crafty corner. Until next time, happy crafting!
Janna~ πŸ’•πŸŽ¨πŸ’•

Below are some links for some inspired shopping at the Funkie Junkie.

Distress Spray Stain kitsch flamingo https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Spray_Stain_Kitsch_Flamingo_TSS72645_p/tss72645.htm

Distress Spray Stain Salvaged patina 

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Spray_Stain_Salvaged_Patina_TSS72782_p/tss72782.htm

Distress Spray Stain Mustard seed https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Spray_Stain_Mustard_Seed_TSS42358_p/tss42358.htm

Distress Spray Stain Mermaid lagoon https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Spray_Stain_Mermaid_Lagoon_TSS44147_p/tss44147.htm

Distress crayons set 3  picket fence https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Tim_Holtz_Distress_Crayons_Set_3_TDBK47926_p/tdbk47926.htm

Idea-ology ephemera 

https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Holtz_Ideaology_Ephemera_Pack_Keepsakes_TH93958_p/ido_th93958.htm

Label stickers https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Idea_ology_Label_Stickers_Sentiments_TH94142_p/ido_th94121.htm

Distress glitter https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Tim_Holtz_Dry_Glitter_Clear_Rock_Candy_3oz_TDR3587_p/tdr35879.htm

Sparkling AI cardstock https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Alcohol_Ink_Cardstock_Silver_Sparkle_5x7_TAC65500_p/tac65500.htm

Distress crackle paint 

Collage Medium https://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/Distress_Collage_Medium_Matte_2oz_Bottle_TDA73031_p/tda73031.htm



Comments

  1. Fantastic take on icy! They are both wonderful mediums and you used them brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hippity Hoppity Easter Card

Grunge, Ghouls, or Giggles: TFJ Challenge

Time Shows Us What Really Matters: TFJB Challenge