Die-namite TFJ Challenge

Below and welcome to a new challenge over at the  Funkie Junkie Blog Challenge this weeks theme is Die-Na-mite.

Dies can make a simple or boring project extra mighty... I want you to use your dies to make a project! They can be your main focus, or work in the background to make your project a little extra mighty.  

Here I decided to work on a journal spread. For the journal spread I wanted to focus on the aspect of story telling of Sleeping Beauty. To fit the theme I have used a variety of die cuts to embellish and highlight the main focal point. For video instructions click here .


Used: Sizzix dies colorize candle light, bigz die moon and stars, colorize blooms, and garden greens, distress paints shaded lilac, chipped sapphire, broken china, picket fence, kitch flamingo, and peacock feathers, distress midnight glitter, distress crypt paste, paper dolls, distress glaze broken china, fried brick, and cracked pistachio, stencil THS002,  botanical collage paper, distress collage crazing medium and collage medium, distress mica spray stains flickering candle, jack-o-lantern, and hocus-pocus. 

For this journal spread I am working out of the Dina Wakely multi media journal. I love this journal because the pages hold up very well to multiple layers of collage and product.

To start the journal I laid down a layer of white gesso with a wide brush. For this base coat it took about two layers to create a solid foundation.

Once the layers are were dry I worked on creating a marbled distress paint technique. To start with I splashed chipped saphire and broken china on the page. I then moved the paint around using a water mister and the Ranger heat tool.

For the second layer with paint I added in shaded lilac, kitch flamingo, and a dash of picket fence.

Next I took some of the idea-ology Botanical collage paper and tore it up to add to the background. 

Then using some collage medium I glued in the different pieces of collage paper.


With the background completed I then created some embellishments. To start with I embellished a moon from the Bigz die set moon and stars.


To start embellishing the moon I used some of the new crypt grit past through THMS002 stencil. 


Next I added some distress pumice stone oxide spray to the moon. Also threw in a dash of brushed Orestes mica spray for a little sparkle.



Now on to the fairies. Since this spread is built around the story of sleeping beauty I decided to add in the three good fairies Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather. To make these fairies I used TH paper dolls and some clear wings from Idea-ology.


To add some color to these fairies I decided to use some distress embossing glaze. I used fried brick, cracked pistachio, and broken china. 



Once glazes I then added the transparent wings to the paper dolls with a bit of collage medium.

For the next embellishment I decided to make several of the colorize candles. These I cut out from TH metallic cardstock, black AI cardstock, and some white heavy stock.
Then I assembled the layers together with some more collage medium.

Next I started to assemble the journal pages. To start I added a piece of lattice work from the die set mixed media #1. This piece is glittered with some of the new TH midnight glitter. I also added elements from the paper set Stenperia Sleeping beauty 12x12 set. For the scrapbook elements I coated these in distress crazing medium to give the piece a more vintage look.
Then I added in the rest of the embellishments: moon, fairies, and candles.


Once the crazing medium is dry I then add in some distress walnut stain crayon. The addition of the walnut stain helps highlight the crazing lines. Lightly I scribble down the crayon and then smudge it into the little crackles with my finger. 


Here I am adding in the colorize blooms and garden greens to frame the main focal point of the right hand page.


 Below is the completed journal spread.










Comments

  1. Brilliant pages! I felt the sleeping beauty castle with the candelabra and the beautiful papers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hippity Hoppity Easter Card

Grunge, Ghouls, or Giggles: TFJ Challenge

Time Shows Us What Really Matters: TFJB Challenge