Distressing with distress TFJ Challenge

This week at the Funkie Junkie we are crafting to the theme:'De-stress with a little distressing' - Are you feeling stressed? How about destressing with a bit of distressing. Show us some yummy grungy distressed goodness. This can be anything from torn and tattered bits, crackling, sanding, water spots and so much more! What's your favorite way to add distressing to your projects?


Head over to the Funkie Junkie Blogto join the new challenge, open from August 25 to September 7th.

This week for “de-stressing with distress”  I decided to create two cards using multiple Distress products by Tim Holtz and incorporate some old school paper distressing by roughing up the edges of one of my backgrounds. Click here for a video tutorial.

The products I used for these two cards include: Sizzix medallion Switchlit, 3D impresslit oak leaf, and the leaf imprint 3D embossing folder, Distress ink ground espresso, distress crayon ground espresso, Distress paint tarnished brass, Distress spray stains festive berries, spiced marmalade, crackling campfire, and mustard seed, Distress oxide sprays wilted violet, wild honey, and crackling campfire, Distress mica spray stain hocus-pocus, crooked broomstick, jack-o-lantern, and flickering candle, Idea-ology metallic cardstock, Ranger AI black cardstock,” and Ranger TH mini brayer, heavy stock mixed media, and white mixed media cardstock.



To start with I created several backgrounds using some of the new and spectaculars Tim Holtz Distress mica spray stains.  Here I set up the TH splat box to contain some of the mica spray and added in a paper towel.


Next I misted the mixed media paper with some water from the Distress spray bottle. When using sprays I prefer to start with water to encourage the movement of the Distress spray stains. First layer included: carved pumpkin, crackling campfire, and mustard seed.




Then I dried the first layer and then spritzed the dry layer with droplets to create a splattered look. Again dried this layer.


For the last layer I then added the Distress mica spray stains: then added a touch of water and dried the layer. 



I then repeated these two steps for the other two backgrounds. 


The only difference was on the black AI cardstock background where I did not use any spray stains. Instead a created a foundation of oxides before adding in mica spray stains.



Now let’s make some cards. To start with I decided to use the orange and brown background created on white heavy stock. On this background I added in some stamped images from Field Notes CM

After stamping I then added some ground espresso  distress crayon to some 3D oak leaves. 
With my fingers I smudged the distress crayon onto the leaves.

Then I took the distressed 3D oak leaves and glued them in place.


With the leaves glued in place I then added a sentiment Turing This card into a thank you card. I used the TH die set  celebration words.


After I then distressed the edges of the paper with some ground espresso distress ink.


 For the next card I cut down the black AI cardstock to 4.5 x 2.75on. Then I distressed these edges of the cardstock with a paper distressing tool.
Next I ran the leaf imprint 3D folder through my vagabond.
Then I took some tarnished brass distress paint and bartered it into the 3D leaf imprint.
Next I took some foam squares and stuck them to the back of the AI black cardstock piece.
Before assembly the card I painted the edges of the Sizzix sizzlet medallion with tarnished brass distress paint.
After I then added another set of words to the medallion for my sentiment. The die cut words were cut from TH metallic cardstock.
Last I attached the black AI cardstock to the card and added a golden 3D oak leaf down in the right corner.


Then going back to the first card I cut off the pieces of leaf hanging off the edge of the card.

Below is the finished card.



Thank you for joining me here today and until next time happy crafting!

~Janna💕🎨
Want to check out some supplies from this tutorial? Bellow are some links for inspired shopping at the Funkie Junkie.


Collage medium  

Ranger Halloween Mica set 1

Ranger Halloween set 2

Distress Spray stain Mustard seed

Distress Spray stain cracklings campfire

Distress Spray stain barn door

Distress Spray stain carved pumpkin

Distress oxide spray cracklings campfire

Distress oxide spray wild honey

Distress Ink ground espresso

Distress crayon set 7

Distress black Soot archival

TH stamping acrylic blocks



Comments

  1. Lovely rich distress colors and how you added the depth with the spots and splatters was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at the colorful backgrounds, but your leaves are gorgeous and I love that leafy embossed layer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hippity Hoppity Easter Card

Grunge, Ghouls, or Giggles: TFJ Challenge

Time Shows Us What Really Matters: TFJB Challenge